Washington National Cathedral
Tony delivered this sermon at National Washington Cathedral in Washington, DC on June 3, 2012
- Isaiah 6 – Isaiah praying at the temple, transformative experience.
- One thing to believe in God, quite another to experience God.
- To encounter God is not to prepare you for the next world, it’s to empower you to do the work of God in this world.
- Story about the Pentecostal preacher and not falling down when he got hit.
- Joke about Baptists going to heaven.
- Learnt other ways of praying from Catholics. Centering prayer in the morning.
- Joke about son going to bed “I’m going to be praying, anyone want anything?”
- Story about Mother Teresa on prayer “I don’t say anything, I listen.”
- You must wait for the Holy Spirit to invade you, to permeate you, to lead you.
- Story about middle seat on an airplane between two fat guys.
- The story of the bleeding woman in the Gospels.
- The creed is crucial to who we are. But there is something beyond creed. There is an experience, Isaiah had it.
- The Holy Spirit comes to different people different ways.
- When the Spirit of God is in you it changes you into someone who responds to God’s call.
- Story about the deacon and the old man in the wheelchair.
- 1 Corinthians 13
- If you’re full of the Holy Spirit, you will become Jesus for people.
- Went to Port-au-Prince, approached by 3 teenage prostitutes, hired them for the night. Before they came to the room, got a bunch of Disney videos, 4 banana splits. Had a party and watched movies. Let them be children again for a night.
- The Spirit will invade you and drive you to do what you can do to touch the lives of others.
- Story about homeless man in Philadelphia offering coffee to Tony, asks for a hug.
- When the Holy Spirit is in you, you sense Christ waiting to be loved in those who are in need.
- Joke about bombing a sermon at Mount Carmel.
- Story about student recognition day at Mount Carmel, “One day you’re going to die.”
- Is your life about collecting titles or collecting testimonies?
- Far more important than a tombstone with titles is people standing around your grave giving testimonies.
Keywords: 1 Corinthians 13, airplane, Baptists, bleeding woman, Catholics, centering prayer, children, Christ, coffee, creed, deacon, death, encounter, experience, Gospel, Haiti, heaven, Holy Spirit, homeless, hug, Isaiah 6, Jesus, Mother Teresa, Mount Carmel, Pentecostal, Port-au-Prince, potato salad, Prayer, teenage prostitutes, temple, testimonies, titles, wheelchair
Reference ID: 06032012