Ministering Where You Live
Tony delivered this sermon at First Baptist Church/ First United Methodist Church in Jefferson City, MO on October 17, 2010
- Scripture Matthew 13:1-9, 18-23
- You came in as believers, but you need to leave out as disciples
- You don’t earn your way into heaven or into eternal life. You’re saved by grace not by works lest any person should boast.
- Story about explain grace, justice, and mercy to a group of junior high kids
- Grace is getting what you don’t deserve
- Story about Tony’s son taking Philadelphia kids up to the Pocono Mountains and the boy that got saved because the kid figured if Tony’s son could be a Christian, anyone could be a Christian
- Don’t trust in your own good works, trust in what Christ did on Calvary’s cross
- Story about Blondin the tightrope walker who walked across a tightrope from the US side of Niagara falls to the Canadian side with a man on his shoulders
- You have to be people who develop depth. How do you do this? Prayer.
- Centering Prayer. Before you go out to carry out the mission of God, You’d better spend some time surrendering to God.
- “Be still and know that I am God”
- Isaiah 40- They that WAIT on the Lord…
- Be still and wait for the Spirit of God to flow into you
- Lectio Divina- Go to the Red Letters of the Bible (the words of Jesus) read four or five verses and ask God what it is that He wants to teach you through those verses
- John 14 say The Spirit will teach you and lead you in all truth
- Story about Fred Craddock and the greyhound dog that quit racing because one day he realized that the rabbit he was chasing wasn’t real
- How many young people end up chasing a rabbit that isn’t real?
- John Wesley said “Every Christian should work as hard as he can, spend as little as he can, save as much as he can, in order to give away all that he can.”
- Tony talks about Compassion International.
- God has destined you to do a good work.
- You are here by divine appointment, because God created you for a mission
- Story about Tony’s visit to Honolulu and Agnes the prostitute’s birthday at the diner.
- If any person is in Christ they can become brand new
- God has called us to be a people to reach out to where we are, to the people around us.
- You don’t have to go to Calcutta to work with Mother Theresa, Everyone has their own Calcutta.
- Story about Student Recognition Day at Tony’s Church in Philadelphia
- Tony’s pastor told the students “When you were born, everyone was happy and you were crying, when you die is everyone going to cry and you are the only one happy? It’s not about titles, it’s about testimonies.
- Tony Prays
Keywords: Agnes, birthday party, Blondin, Canada, Compassion International, depth, Fred Craddock, grace, heaven, Honolulu, Isaiah 40, John Wesley, justice, lectio divina, Matthew 13, mercy, Mother Teresa, Niagara Falls, Philadelphia, Pocono Mountains, Prayer, Prostitute, red letters, testimonies, titles
Reference ID: 10172010 1045AM